Monday 21 August 2017

Impact!



Impact! That’s the best single word verb I can come up with to describe the Summit 2017. So much so that I stayed awake the entire time from 1.30am to 9.00am on both days two weeks ago when I watched the Global Leadership Summit (live at Willow Creek Community Church in Chicago) via a very good satellite feed. As always, a faculty of fantastic speakers from the Church, NGO, Business, Academic and Research sectors who delivered high impact talks that will have enough content to provide a year or more of excellent leadership development content. It is also interesting to note that the WCA office in America tell me that they have received the strongest feedback in many years.

As is the case every year, different speakers impact people differently. There is no right or wrong. For me the top three were Bryan Stevenson, Andy Stanley and Sheryl Sandberg. The next three were Juliet Funt, Gary Haugen, and Marcus Buckingham. 

Check out the Summit 2017 Highlights video by clicking on the picture at the top of this post.

SHERYL SANDBERG – Chief Operating Officer, Facebook
Sheryl Sandberg is chief operating officer at Facebook, overseeing the company’s business operations. Prior to Facebook, she was vice president of Global Online Sales and Operations at Google and chief of staff for the United States Treasury Department. Sandberg is the best-selling author of Lean In. Her 2017 release, Option B, is an inspiring and practical book about finding resilience and moving forward after life’s inevitable setbacks.

  • “When you’re offered a seat on the rocket ship, you don’t ask what seat, you just get on the ship.”
  • “Hire big means to hire people with unbelievable skills and hire people that you want on your team before you need them on the team.”
  • “I started asking how much resilience do I have—but the better question is how do I build more resilience in my life?”
  • “We’ve heard of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), but not Post Traumatic Growth.”

ANDY STANLEY – Leadership  Author, Communicator, Pastor
Andy Stanley founded North Point Ministries (NPM) more than 20 years ago. Today, NPM is comprised of six churches in the Atlanta area and a network of 30 churches around the globe, collectively serving nearly 70,000 people weekly. Recently, Outreach Magazine identified Stanley as one of the Top 10 Most Influential Pastors in America. The author of more than 20 books, he is passionate about serving both church and organizational leaders.

  • “Listen to outsiders.”
  • “Outsiders aren’t bound by our assumptions.”
  • “Close-minded leaders close minds.”
  • “Be a student, not a critic.”
Many of my readers know that I have a huge respect for Andy not only because of his unrelenting pursuit to do church better but because of his lifelong commitment to reach unchurched people. Do you know that his Saturday Night Show now reaches over one million people. How cool is that?

And there is so much more world-class teaching that has made me think and has definitely inspired me.

So, can I urge you to go to our website here and register before the Early Bird rate closes one month before the date of the event you choose to go to. Also check out our Team Incentive option here.

While we are talking about great leadership, let me briefly say something about ‘The Jacinda Effect’. Without a doubt, Jacinda Ardern’s promotion to leader of the Labour Party has changed almost everything in this year’s election campaign season. And to be honest, I can’t help but be impressed—very impressed actually (and I have never voted Labour in my life). What I think is much more interesting is the fabulous leadership case study that is unfolding before our very eyes. I would like to encourage you to look closely at what she is saying and doing with your leadership lenses on.

Finally, I just love social enterprise stories like these: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/82108968/Eat-My-Lunch-help-feed-hungry-children. A very good business with even better social outcomes.

Blessings
Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment